This gallery contains 11 photos.
The Lincoln Commons Act of 1870 enabled Lincoln Corporation to purchase Monks Leys Common for the building of housing for Lincoln’s booming population (see On The Waterfront). Towns and cities throughout the country were recognising the leisure needs of their people, Lincoln was … Continue reading
This gallery contains 3 photos.
Until 1815 the place of execution in Lincoln was at the corner of Burton Road and Westgate, where the convenience store and adjoining cottages now stand, and was known as Hangman’s Ditch. The last person hanged on the old gallows was … Continue reading
St Mary le Wigford church stands next to the railway line on St Mary’s Street in today’s centre of Lincoln. Built during the 11th century by Eirtig. It was one of the 15 Lincoln churches that survived the Reformation: there … Continue reading