What is unusual about the Cold Bath House parish?
Copyright © 2003-2011 The Trustees of FreeCEN.
Cold Bath House parish was created in 1837. It had an area of 1 acre and was located at the top of the Arboretum at the junction of Lindum Terrace and Eastfield Road.
A windmill, Cold Bath Mill, had been on the site for many years. Robert Cottam had been the miller until his son, George, took over in the late 1830s: George probably died about 1865. By this time windmills were becoming redundant and steam powered mills were taking over.
Henry Kirk Hebb, solicitor, clerk to the urban sanitary committee, town clerk to Lincoln Corporation for 30 years and chairman of the Lincoln and Lindsey Bank had Cold Bath House built in about 1867. The house was perched on the cliff edge and incorporated a spring in its cellar, and had a room designed to entertain the entire City Council.
Hebb lived at the house until his death in 1902.
In 1905 Mrs Matilda Richardson lived at the house, she was the widow of William Wright Richardson, a director of Doughty, Son & Richardson Ltd.
In 1907 all the Lincoln parishes were incorporated into a single Lincoln parish, after 70 years Cold Bath House parish was relegated to the history books. Cold Bath House was the only building in the parish and the number of residents stayed static at 5. This 1 acre, single house parish was the smallest in Lincoln both in size and number of residents.
Sometime before 1920 Cold Bath House became Mrs Swan’s Nursing Home. The nursing home continued until 2nd August 1942, when the County Hospital and the nursing home were attacked by a German bomber. The main damage at the County Hospital was to the Nurses home, the operating theatre, the board room and the massage room but windows of two of the wards were damaged and some of the patients suffered injuries from flying glass. Mrs Swan’s Nursing Home was almost totally destroyed, but no one was injured, the building was demolished in 1945.
A bomb also dropped on the allotments nearby on St Anne’s Road. It is thought the crew of the aircraft spotted the chimney at the hospital and thought it was a factory.
A list of the dead and injured:
- Lt. Harry Sidney COLLARD, Royal Engineers. He is buried at Newport Cemetery, Lincoln
- R.S.M. Fred LEGGE, Royal Engineers
- Lt Cpl. William James PRINCE, Royal Engineers
- Sister D.M.B. CURRY
- Nurse WARNER, 20,
- Miss G.M. JAMES, a masseuse
- Nurse Myra RANDS, 20,
- Nurse GRUNELL
- Injured patients
- Mrs Irene HIGGINGS, 22
- Mrs Daisy HORSFIELD, 25
- Keith HINCH, 3 weeks.
I don’t know what the Royal Engineers were doing there.
The southern part of the grounds of Cold Bath House were landscaped and incorporated into the Aboretum to celebrate the Coronation of H M Queen Elizabeth II in 1953