Broadgate is one of the main south to north routes through Lincoln and is one of the more recent important roads of Lincoln. The road is believed to have been built on the Roman east wall and ditch of the lower city, probably in the 16th century, to relieve the traffic in the narrow streets east of the High Street. Until the Reformation most of the west side of Broadgate was the Grey Friars priory.
This drawing from 1784 shows the north end of Broadgate, the road straight ahead in Clasketgate with the Clask Gate on the right, the gate was pulled down in 1785. More about Lincoln’s gates
Broadgate terminates at Magpie Square, just north of the river Witham. In 1842 there was a swing bridge over the river at the south side of Magpie Square which lead to Waterside South, Melville Street wasn’t built until the mid 1850s. Ywo markets bordered Broadgate: the sheep market on the site of the present St Swithin’s Church and the Pig Market in what is now Unity square. In 1848 the markets were moved to the Cattle Market on the north side of Monks Road.
This attractive jumble of buildings stood where Premier Inn is now were photographed in 1973. The corner building on the left was Shipleys, one of Lincoln’s leading builders merchants. Shipleys were taken over by Jackson’s, a competitior, and the joint company traded as Jackson Shipley but now the Shipley name has been lost and the company now trades as JacksonBuilding Centres. At the far end of this block of buildings stands the Wheatsheaf Inn, later to be renamed O’Rourkes Irish Bar, a popular Lincoln pub in the 1960s. The tall building in the far background is the Lincoln telephone exchange.
Broadgate 1949. The Drill Hall, known locally as Bread and Cheese Hall, paid for by Joseph Ruston of Ruston, Proctor & Co, for the First Lincoln Volunteer Company, is the building with embattlements in the centre left of the photo.
More images of Broadgate and other parts of Lincoln